Investigative journalism doesn’t skip a beat 🔁
With a 24 hour workday, news contributors can’t afford to either.
With the uncertainty attached to the pandemic’s playout across the globe, audiences are more glued to their screens than ever before. Whether it’s lockdowns, curfews, border openings, health passes, vaccine roll-outs- associated viewer ratings continue to soar to new heights.
To deal with the larger wave of information and associated video material, many companies are turning to digital transformation efforts to combat lagging workflows and publication times.
In fact, according to a recent Reuters report, more than 76% of media companies state that the pandemic has been a catalyst for digital transformation in the industry. Additionally, 69% of this sample also believe AI technology will have the greatest impact on journalism in the next 5 years.
Supercharge Editorial Workflows: Enrich Live News Content with AI
After months of international lockdown- sports events, large crowds and political gatherings are on the rise, and consequently there’s much to cover.
Working with live content is working with moving parts that can sometimes take hours to analyze, cross-reference, edit and publish. That’s why media companies are turning toward machine-based, multilayered support and detection solutions to manage real-time investigation.
Today journalists are embracing the future of live 🔴
This translates into increased adoption of AI technologies as applied to live contribution. Nowadays, journalists are relying more and more on cloud-native platforms which have the capability to ingest live stream recordings while leveraging native AI Indexing technology to boost editorial workflows.
In other words, they are able to search, clip and publish even the most complex live stories, in seconds.
Newsbridge MAM: Multimodal AI Detecting Multilayered Live Moments & More
It’s easy to talk about AI applied to journalism, but most users prefer to see it in action!
So what does that look like? 🧐
Here’s how the Newsbridge platform leverages Multimodal Indexing AI technology to help journalists work quicker and smarter with live content:
1) Live Video Streams Transfer: Work with Content in Near-Real Time – Newsbridge can receive signals from several types of streaming devices, from cellular field units to on rack encoders at the same time. Live Schedule allows users to easily plan and record all live UHD video streams in the cloud, along with the ability to start working with content in real-time.
2) Multimodal Indexing AI: Advanced Investigative Research- Once ingested into the platform, Newsbridge’s native AI Algorithm automatically detects faces, objects, logos, speech-to-text & context among live video content in real time via Multimodal AI. This gives journalists the ability to carry out advanced search and retrieval operations quickly via a built-in semantic search engine. This next-level search experience allows for multilayered search criteria, helping journalists find extremely precise moments among hours of video content.
3) Smart Collections: Live Highlights and Birdseye Asset View- Leveraging the platform’s native Multimodal Indexing AI technology, users can define media facets they need to group together (i.e. all clips where we see “Neymar” and informational prompts with ‘Copa America Final’ detected via OCR) and all matching content will be added to the users’ collection, in seconds. Newsbridge’s smart Collections update anytime a new media asset matches the defined criteria and can be applied to live streams, giving editorial teams a birds eye view of auto-aggregation of strategically grouped assets.
4) Live Transcription & Translation: Advanced Search & Quicker Production Times- Upon ingest, live content is automatically transcribed- generating an associated speech-to-text panel in near-real time. It is time coded and available for translation in up to 30+ languages, activating audio-indexing for advanced search of spoken word. Subtitles are also easily ready for export, in the language of choice for quicker production processes.
5) Elastic Storage: From Live to Archive- Size doesn’t matter! When it comes to live, uploaded streams storage capacity is unlimited. Depending on unique storage requirements, Newsbridge’s storage solution ranges from hosting 100% of uploaded content to a delegate-cloud storage, with hybrid-cloud options available.
An AI Driven Future: Top Media Companies Embracing Digital Transformation
Not only is the future of journalism live, but it is also increasingly AI-driven. Even if it’s not specific to editorial workflows, many of the world’s top media companies are already embracing this future-focused technology to fuel internal processes and digital transformation.
Here are a couple examples:
– The BBC is leveraging an AI-powered chatbot to respond to covid-related questions, pulling information from its existing reports and stories.
-Reuters News Agency is relying on speech-to-text technology to further build its existing archived video collection (over 100 years worth of material), transcripts now searchable in 11 different languages.
– South China Morning Post is using AI to analyze and ultimately increase reader engagement via a loyalty-tracking machine learning algorithm called Bluefin.
No matter the use case, it is clear that the future of journalism is both live and AI-driven. The media industry’s next generation of innovators have shown up and as one of the leading AI-based broadcast tech companies, we are here for it!
Newsbridge is a cloud-based platform for next gen media valorization offering Multimodal Indexing via Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Taking into account facial, object and scene recognition with audio transcription and semantic context, Newsbridge provides unprecedented access to content. Whether it be media logging, archiving, monetizing, or investigative research- the solution allows for smart media asset management.
Today our platform is used by TV Channels, Press Agencies Major Sports Federations, Production Houses, Journalists, Editors and Documentalists to boost their media value chain.
For all related inquiries please contact us here.